[coyotos-dev] Behavior of exit()?

Sam Mason sam at samason.me.uk
Fri May 16 10:42:22 CDT 2008

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 10:03:49AM -0400, Jonathan S. Shapiro wrote:
> There are several issues concerning exit() that need to be resolved in
> Coyotos:
>
>   1. How should exit() be handled? Is it an exception? If it is a
>      "process exit status", where is this exit status delivered?
>      Who gets the notification?
>
>   2. Do we want to have a coyotos variant of exit that exits with
>      a result code?

Shouldn't this sort of functionality live inside the POSIX emulation
layer?

I'm guessing there's going to be (at least) one POSIX "helper" process
in the system, so would it make sense for the exiting process to send
its exit code to this helper process?  This also seems like a reasonable
place to support the related wait() functionality.

  Sam