[coyotos-dev] Update to capros-host-xenv package

Jonathan S. Shapiro shap at eros-os.com
Wed Jun 25 12:33:44 CDT 2008

I do not have any idea why yum should claim that there are amd64
specific packages. The only targets we build for are i386, and
installation under F9 amd64 has never been tested. Perhaps it should be.

Oh (hand swats forehead). The problem is almost certainly in the Coyotos
repository package. /etc/yum.repos.d/Coyotos.repo is using $basearch
rather than i386. This should be very easy to fix, but I need to install
a 64-bit machine so that I can ensure that I fix it correctly. Look for
that late tonight.

In general, our experience with F9 has been **DISMAL**. Setting aside
the fact that the default installation has networking completely screwed
up, we have experienced what appears to be interrupt lockup (could be an
X failure) on *EVERY* machine that we have installed. Without exception,
we have been forced to back out and re-install F8 in every case after
installing F9 on real hardware. The only place where we have an F9
install operating reliably is under Xen.

For those of you who feel lucky, the "fix" to the NetworkManager bug is:

  chkconfig NetworkManager off
  chkconfig network on

With this fix in place, conventional servers will actually boot with
their network cards *enabled*!

I have not identified any fix to the lockup problems.