[coyotos-dev] Window system security requirements

Charles Landau clandau at macslab.com
Mon Aug 18 13:24:27 CDT 2008

Jonathan S. Shapiro wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-08-16 at 17:08 -0500, Trey Boudreau wrote:
>> I would argue that ordinary programs probably should not have
>> capabilities to the bring-to-front and send-to-back commands (or the
>> window system could just ignore them).
>
> In effect this would mean that ordinary programs could not open windows
> at all.
>
> Doesn't help.

I don't follow that.

Can't you have a design where
(1) at one level, each application has its own set of windows, which it
can open, close, and move to front or back (within its set), and
(2) at a higher level, an application's entire set of windows can be
brought to the front/back (compared to other applications) under control
of a higher authority?