[coyotos-dev] Binary naming

Jonathan S. Shapiro shap at eros-os.com
Fri Apr 11 11:48:37 CDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-04-11 at 11:25 -0400, Christopher Nelson wrote:
> I am thinking in the vein of enterprise management software.  I can see
> that we probably have terminology mismatch.
>
> I presume that there is a way to get all running applications on the
> system? And also some way to account for their resource usage?

There is not, and their will not be. It is not required for the
administrator to know any of that information in order to properly
administer the system.

This is a mental model issue. As administrator, your job is to allocate
resource pools to users. You have visibility into the consumption of
those pools, the ability to limit that consumption, and the ability to
change the limit.

If a user's applications are misbehaving, your job as administrator
stops with capping the resource limits. It is then the job of the
appropriate user to figure out how to recover their world. You, as
administrator, shouldn't even be able to *see* their world unless they
hand you the authority to do so.

There is a small, devilish detail here: the per-user interface that
allows them to recover must run off of a different resource pool than
the bulk of their applications (or at least off of a guaranteed
sub-pool). This is not difficult to ensure, but it is a missing
technical detail in the story that I told above.