[coyotos-dev] IPC redesign issues, goals, and options

Pierre THIERRY nowhere.man at levallois.eu.org
Tue Feb 13 16:20:23 CST 2007

Scribit Jonathan S. Shapiro dies 13/02/2007 hora 10:19:
> 4. Move to a design where the payload currently stored in the FCRB is
> delivered immediately, but not to registers. In this design, the FCRB
> contains two capabilities: [...]
>
> This is doable, but it is space intensive. Every outstanding receive
> now ties down *two* pages, which is an even bigger problem on small
> memory systems.

In all cases where registers are replaced by pages, and where this adds
this space problem, I wonder if they couldn't be replaced by ranges to
pages. That is, if a process knows it will only receive two capabilities
in an FCRB reply, it can make the capability reply range point to

	(someCapPage, someOffset, someOffset + 1)

IIUC, this enables the process to make that point to the capability
registers if speed is really needed.

Curiously,
Pierre
nowhere.man at levallois.eu.org