[coyotos-dev] Thoughts on (non)persistence

Jonathan S. Shapiro shap at eros-os.org
Fri Jan 21 18:36:04 EST 2005

On Sat, 2005-01-22 at 00:23 +0200, Marcus Sundman wrote:
> On Friday 21 January 2005 23:42, Jonathan S. Shapiro wrote:
> > The system loses power. On restart, how do you get the right
> > capabilities assigned to the right process?
>
> Umm.. the first process that is restarted after the (re)boot gets the first
> set of process-less capabilities, the second one gets the second set etc.

Marcus:

I apologize in advance for what I'm about to do -- I'm about to try to
walk you through this one step at a time. Believe it or not, I'm doing
this because it may turn out that the answer is perfectly obvious and I
am too stuck to think about it.

So: you propose to simply start up two processes and give to one of them
the capabilities that used to go with our first process and to the other
the capabilities that went with the second. Excellent.

1. How do you know what capabilities were held, respectively, by
   old.p1 and old.p2?

2. Once you have your new processes started, how do you ensure that
   they are now understood by the rest of the system to be the
   replacements for old.p1 and old.p2? That is, that they are
   recognized as having assumed the identity of the processes that
   they have replaced?