[bitc-dev] Retrospective Thoughts on BitC

Jonathan S. Shapiro shap at eros-os.org
Fri Apr 13 10:15:54 PDT 2012

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 9:03 AM, David Jeske <davidj at gmail.com> wrote:

> You're math is really different than mine. By my view, 90% of our stack is
> written in C.
>
> 90% C/C++ : kernel, driver, display, algorithm, core shlibs libraries,
> popular applications

But of course, *none* of this needs to be written in C/C++, barring a
couple hundred lines of ASM code in the kernel for a few hardware
interactions and maybe a hundred lines of ASM/C in the language-level
runtime.

Once the BitC type system is augmented with the Habit stuff, it appears
possible to me to write an allocation-free, type-safe runtime within BitC
itself, except for some very, very small low-level operations.