[bitc-dev] Retrospective: The Issues with Type Classes

wren ng thornton wren at freegeek.org
Mon Apr 9 00:10:41 PDT 2012

On 4/8/12 8:28 PM, Sandro Magi wrote:
> The only problem with this solution is that you lose the natural
> isomorphism with the original Foo, so this requires "wrap/unwrap" at the
> coercion boundary. Two possible solutions to this:

There are a number of facilities to help with that issue. Among them,

http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/newtype/0.1/doc/html/Control-Newtype.html

which has the very helpful "ala" function to keep things clean and
declarative.

For many situations newtypes are indeed sufficient. In fact, they're
better than allowing multiple instances because they make explicit the
types involved (and I mean "types" in the colloquial or philosophical
sense, rather than what compilers see per se). It's far better than the
C approach of just calling everything "int" simply because it happens to
be represented by a machine word.

However, there are situations where using newtypes isn't pretty. In
particular, it's the cases where you want to use multiple instances at
the same time. With ordering relations, no matter which ordering we have
in mind for a particular implementation task, by and large we only care
about one ordering for that particular set of data. In this case, using
newtypes or named instances is perfectly fine. However, now consider a
type class for some abstract algebraic concept like Semigroup, Monoid,
Group, etc. We very often want to combine multiple of these instances
and use them together; for example, we have two (to four) any time we
talk about a semiring, ring, field, lattice, etc. Even worse, many times
we want to use multiple (e.g.) semirings in the same hunk of code; for
example, switching between the (+,*) semiring and the (max,*) or (min,+)
semiring when dealing with probabilities or path weights. In these sorts
of situations both newtype wrappers and explicit passing of named
instances run into problems (though named instances fare a bit better in
the multiple semiring example). I've used abstract algebra as the
example since that's what I'm familiar with, but there are analogous
problems in any other situation where you have multiple interacting
instances of the same class.

That all is just in the Haskell context. In the BitC context there's the
additional constraint about making allocation explicit. I'm not sure
what sorts of issues that'd introduce for the newtype approach. Does/did
BitC even have newtypes as such? They're one of my favorite features of
Haskell, but even Mark Jones dropped them from Habit.

--
Live well,
~wren