[bitc-dev] Call by need?

Jonathan S. Shapiro shap at eros-os.org
Sat Sep 4 05:17:26 PDT 2010

On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 9:39 PM, wren ng thornton <wren at freegeek.org> wrote:

> I'm sure you've no plans to make laziness the default...

I'm afraid not, though as it happens I've was reading up on the
implementation techniques that SPJ used. While I don't plan to go for
laziness, some of the implementation methods people have come up with to
realize it are damnably clever and have other applications.

... but it's
> definitely helpful to have as a primitive part of the language instead
> of relying on built-ins (e.g., if-then-else in C, or the (unit->) hack
> in OCaml) in order to recreate it.

You know, this is embarassing. I had realized (of course) that
thunkification subsumed AND/OR, but it's only just now that I see it also
subsumes IF-THEN-ELSE.

The other day I sent out a note about Pitman's views on FEXPR. Any thoughts
on that, Wren?