[bitc-dev] Unicode and bitc

Ben Kloosterman bklooste at gmail.com
Sun Oct 17 04:52:36 PDT 2010

 >On 17 October 2010 09:41, Ben Kloosterman <bklooste at gmail.com> wrote:
 >> Pin yin is replacing written chinese in Taiwan and Hong Kong and they
 >are
 >> forgetting the writing of chars. Also
 >
 >This is news to me.
 >
 >While my experience is only second hand as I don't speak Chinese
 >myself I can't imagine easily replacing the ideograms with pinyin and
 >preserving intelligible written text.

Note its pinyin for writing, they can still read complex chars they are just forgetting the detail required for composing them , this complexity is why mainland china simplified the characters.

 >At the very least writing in pinyin will necessarily be more verbose
 >as it is not possible to write a single word unambiguously in pinyin.

That is also true pinyin writing systems bring up an option list for the character , China has many cases where the same sound is many different words ,  and this makes pinyin unsuitable for a char representation .

Ben