[bitc-dev] Syntax of type variables

Eric Rannaud eric.rannaud at gmail.com
Mon Mar 22 12:13:29 PDT 2010

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 8:59 AM, Jonathan S. Shapiro <shap at eros-os.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 12:11 AM, William Leslie
> <william.leslie.ttg at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I don't really think syntax is a big deal these days. if you want to
>> read code in a different style, you can always make your editor do
>> that....
>
> Outside of the purview of a few high-end hackers, I don't really think
> this is true. I certainly can't do this, though I wouldn't claim to be
> any sort of expert at driving IDEs.
>
> The real issue, to my mind, is coding standards. Companies, for good
> reason, like to have all code on a project written the same way. While
> you can have a tool re-format the code, I haven't seen a tool yet that
> does a decent job moving the comments around in a consistent way. In
> practice, "consistent" means "close enough so that transforming from
> layout A to layout B and back results in the identity transformation".
>
> Anybody know a tool that can actually do that? I'm curious.

Look at the Go programming language (http://golang.org). They have
decided on a coding style standard by fiat (which applies to anybody
using the Go language) and they enforce it with a tool, gofmt, that
rewrites files according to the standard. I believe it deals with
comments pretty well. Using the tool is optional, but is expected. The
whole standard library is run through the tool all the time.

There was some grumbling about the loss of liberty, but overall,
people seem to be pretty happy with the consistency it guarantees.