[bitc-dev] Bitc and Simd

Ben Kloosterman bklooste at gmail.com
Sat Aug 14 21:06:55 PDT 2010

Yes it is possible without intrinsics which would make BitC code less HW
dependent.

Using the reg as a  GP registers is easy ( and outline as phase 2 ) in my
earlier mails, A optimizing compiler should even be able to place as an int
in a XMM registers and use it as a GP.

In my proposed phases Phase 2 would allow

Int I = 12;

Int j = 3;

xmm r1 =  (xmm)  I + j;  // note that if I + j are greater than max int it
will wrap.  For GP purposes xmm is 32 bits.

Phase 3 would allow  this

xmm r1 = {1,2,3,4};

Xmm r2  = {4,3,2,1};

Let r3 = r1+r2;

However implicitly converting to  SIMD is hard , how do you  communicate
intent ?

Ben