[bitc-dev] FWD: Re: FWD: Resolving type class instances

Jonathan S. Shapiro shap at eros-os.org
Tue Aug 3 13:11:40 PDT 2010

So just to summarize the discussion so far about instances and functional

   - There are soundness concerns with instances. These appear to result
   from failure to check for conflicts in current compilers.
   - Introducing unnamed values into the language happened in two places:
   functional dependencies and instances. In both cases it lost us something
   critical. The moral is that it hurts when we do that, so we shouldn't do