[bitc-dev] Issues in compiling/starting bitcc

Michal Suchanek hramrach at centrum.cz
Sat Apr 10 05:41:01 PDT 2010

On 10 April 2010 10:13, Jonathan S. Shapiro <shap at eros-os.org> wrote:
> Pierre:
>
> This is very weird, because the current version of bitcc doesn't link libgmp
> and shouldn't rely on libgmp at all. So the first problem here is that I do
> not understand who is introducing the dependency.
>
> Does debian put 64-bit things in /usr/lib64, or /usr/lib? If /usr/lib64,

On a 64bit system /usr/lib (a link to /usr/lib64) has 64bit libraries
and /usr/lib32 has 32bit libraries which makes 32bit programs fail in
this manner.

Some gcc (internal) libraries may link to libgmp these days.

Other than that I have no idea about the situation. Building a piece
of software on a 64bit system normally results in a 64bit binary
unless you or the software author take steps to set up the build
otherwise or you specifically install a 32bit-only compiler (which is
still quite hard).

Thanks

Michal