[bitc-dev] Implementation of indentation-aware parse

Jonathan S. Shapiro shap at eros-os.com
Thu Feb 26 11:48:00 EST 2009

Some languages have used indentation to encode block structure, most
obviously python. I do not personally like this approach, and I have
not come to any decision about it, but there is now some empirical
evidence that (a) users find it more readable, and (b) current
programmers will elect to use it by choice when the opportunity is
presented. [c.f. F#].

Can anyone explain how one goes about *implementing* an
indentation-aware syntax? Does this require a hand parser, or can it
be done with lexer thuggery? I can probably work it out if I give it
some thought, but I haven't had a chance to do that.

Thanks