[bitc-dev] Surface Syntax (again)

Jonathan S. Shapiro shap at eros-os.com
Thu Feb 26 11:06:09 EST 2009

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 6:09 PM, Eric Northup <digitale at digitaleric.net> wrote:
> MarkM beat me to the suggestion.  We looked for and failed to find an
> off-the-shelf parser generator that could be persuaded to do mixfix for
> the Dyna language, and we ended up writing our own.

That seems to be a common curse.

> I think mixfix could be regarded as syntactic sugar to be possibly added
> later, guided by experience using the non-s-expression surface syntax.

I tend to agree. And perhaps this means that I should proceed with a
conventional grammar using conventional operator notation, with the
plan that the expression parser may be shifted later. But I either
need to build the parser by hand, which risks unrevealed discrepancies
between the language specification and the parser, or I need to build
a parser generator. If I'm building a generator anyway, the only
requirement for mixfix support is to allow for a user-specified
precedence resolver, so it seems a little silly not to do that much.