[bitc-dev] Where Has shap Been Hiding?

Jonathan S. Shapiro shap at eros-os.com
Fri Apr 3 15:20:04 EDT 2009

Some of you will have noticed that I have been conspicuously silent over the
last three or four weeks. I have spent much of that time airborne, or in
interviews at Google, Microsoft, and DARPA.

After a fair bit of soul-searching, I have decided to accept a fairly senior
position at Microsoft associated with the Midori project. The current plan
has me starting there at the beginning of August.

This means, among other issues, that we will be wrapping up the BitC
project. While I will be trying hard to get all of the planned features for
the initial release completed before I depart, that may not turn out to be
possible. I have asked Microsoft if we can keep the various web sites alive
for archival access and the mailing list, but I should also ask if there is
anyone out there who would be interested to assume more active stewardship
of the BitC project. I emphasize that unless management at Microsoft
concludes otherwise, I will no longer be able to participate actively in
these discussions. Also, in the event that MS does not permit archival
maintainence, would somebody be willing to take over hosting the content?

I have also asked MS for permission to publish papers about BitC on my own
time. They granted this permission to Swaroop, and I see no reason that they
should decline this, but my position there is a bit more sensitive and they
may see issues that I do not.

In the meantime, I need to get back to packing and hacking.

Best regards,

Jonathan