[bitc-dev] Identifiers

Jonathan S. Shapiro shap at eros-os.com
Mon Jan 29 06:09:03 CST 2007

On Mon, 2007-01-29 at 07:05 -0500, Jonathan S. Shapiro wrote:

> > Also, as you're finally settling for a Lisp syntax, would you be open to
> > avoid the use of infix operators like ':' (in favour of the prefix
> > operator 'the' in this case)?
>
> No. We will retain the prefix operators, but the very limited set of
> infix operators that we currently have is too useful to give up.
>
> Note, however, that there is a purely syntactic rewrite from the infix
> operators to the prefix operators. This syntactic rewrite can be done
> even before symbol analysis as long as the input is well formed.

To expand on this slightly:

Any useful processing on Bitc input needs to be done at either the
s-expr level or the AST level. Mostly at the AST level, because it is
surprisingly easy for "simple" rewrites to change the type analysis. At
the AST level, the distinction between these infix and prefix operators
is already gone.
--
Jonathan S. Shapiro, Ph.D.
Managing Director