[bitc-dev] BSD-licensed arbitrary precision library

Jonathan S. Shapiro shap at eros-os.org
Mon Jun 19 15:50:20 EDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-06-19 at 18:50 +0100, David Hopwood wrote:
> Tom Bachmann wrote:
> > [...] you state in the release notes that you are looking for a bsd
> >   licensed arbitrary precision integer math library.
>
> OpenSSL's 'bn' library (http://www.openssl.org/docs/crypto/bn.html) is
> easily separable from the rest of OpenSSL.

Close, but no cigar. Eric Young's intransigence on the advertising
clause has been a festering problem for a lot of projects.

As it happens, I already have pretty good implementations of bignum add,
divide, subtract. What I need is a good divide algorithm. It's not that
hard to do, but it's a nuisance.